Significantly improving a police force’s IT contractor performance
Helping to reset the recruitment and onboarding process for specialist IT contractors in a large UK police force.
There were three core challenges:
- The onboarding process
- Non-delivery from contractors
- A lack of visibility of delivery
The force’s permanent and contingent recruitment processes struggled to keep pace with the transformation projects it needed to deliver. Managers required contractors with niche skills to support various phases of the transformation.
The force also believed that the use of day rates, rather than Statements of Work (SoW), meant contractors did not deliver value for money. The fluctuating nature of the projects and transient way IT consultants were utilised clouded visibility across different projects and areas of the business.
To confront these challenges, the client needed access to a specialist cohort of security-cleared contractors. To this end, the force was looking to partner with a provider who would drive the right behaviours across all projects, with a focus on outcomes and delivery. Its preferred solution would enable it to:
- View and manage consultant outcomes, completed milestones, and deliverables achieved
- Quickly identify risks and overspend
Consultancy+ was appointed as a consulting partner to deploy resources across multiple projects. We assembled a highly capable account team with a dedicated project management office (PMO) manager and resource allocation specialist, and set about solving the three key challenges by implementing:
- Rapid deployment of resources
- Clear management of deliverables
- Detailed project reporting and oversight
Following implementation, we were able to deploy consultants on IT projects with 48 hours’ notice. We ensured that:
- Both teams and individual contractors could be deployed at any time
- All consultants supplied were NPPV3 & SC cleared
- All projects managed through our PMO function to track milestones, progress, knowledge transfer and cost
- All consultants are tracked on a weekly burn report, highlighting spend versus project office (PO) per project
This created an excellent environment for communication, ensuring all key stakeholders were involved, improving visibility and provided clear demonstration of the capability of any contractors deployed.
Understanding that vetting could hamper fast consultant deployment, we ensure new consultants were fast tracked using Reed Screening.
Since implementing our processes, all projects have been delivered on-budget and in line with PO value by project phase. We delivered:
- An estimated saving of 25% of cost when compared to previous contractor overspend
- Consultant rate card agreed which shows a saving of 40% compared to traditional consultancy provision
- On-site project team of up to 20 specialists has delivered desired outcomes throughout the contract
- Multiple projects delivered, including system migration, the implementation of a telephony system, and various augmentation projects.
One key highlight has been deploying a team to a crucial business project. The team - made up of four technical architects, two business analysts, a service transition manager and a Consultancy+ project manager - transitioned major applications from the K-COM network to the newly purchased Virgin Media network.
The team is close to completing a successful project, delivered on time and on budget, in line with the scope of service. The client has expressed its satisfaction of the value and outcomes provided by Consultancy+, along with the quality of delivery.
Our model solved the key challenges, delivered savings, and delivered business critical projects on time and on budget.
- Revamped sourcing and onboarding of IT contractors
- Set clear expectations and deliverables
- 40% in cost savings on previous consultancy costs
Reed Talent Solutions has been selected as a finalist for The Best Use of Technology prize at the TIARA Talent Solution Awards.
COVID-19 has tested business leaders in ways that would have been unimaginable just six months ago. These unique challenges have needed innovative solutions for navigating through the pandemic, we explore a few key learns for senior leadership.
The coronavirus lockdown has caused substantial changes to the way we work. The economy has been impacted at an unprecedented level, and the lockdown is being eased to help it recover. We explore ways businesses can help kick start the economy.